Dan Shen, also known as Salvia miltiorrhiza, is a commonly used herb in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) that is believed to have blood-invigorating properties. It is often used to help with issues related to blood circulation, such as angina, high blood pressure, and varicose veins.
Here is a recipe for a traditional Chinese soup that includes Dan Shen:
- 1/4 cup of dried Dan Shen
- 1/4 cup of dried red dates
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of goji berries (optional)
- 1 tsp of ginger, thinly sliced (optional)
- Soak the dried Dan Shen and red dates in water for at least 30 minutes to soften.
- In a pot, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the soaked Dan Shen and red dates to the pot.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- If desired, add the goji berries and ginger for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Strain the soup and discard the solids.
- Drink the soup while it's warm.
Note: You can adjust the quantity of Dan Shen to your preference, and also add other ingredients such as honey or lemon juice to suit your taste.
It's important to note that Dan Shen should be used with caution because it can interact with other medications and it can cause side effects like stomach upset and dry mouth. It's always recommended consulting with a licensed healthcare practitioner before using it.