Relieving Allergy Symptoms Through Natural Methods
Before reaching for the over-the-counter allergy medications, consider that there may be a better and more natural alternative for relieving allergy symptoms. Through food therapy and supplementation of natural foods and herbs, it is possible to boost the immune system and reduce the severity of allergy symptoms including nasal irritation and allergic rhinitis. There’s no need to suffer through each Spring season due to excessive seasonal allergies. Instead, some simple modifications and additions could bring much relief to those who are affected by allergies.
Eating an Anti-Inflammatory Diet
Supporting the body and immune system through an anti-inflammatory, alkaline diet can go a long way in contributing to good health and combating allergy symptoms and allergic rhinitis. Enjoying a diet that is high in nutrients allows the body to create and maintain a defense against allergens.
Some of the greatest natural foods to include in the diet include garlic, lemons, probiotics, bone broth and nuts and seeds. Eating a dairy-free and gluten-free diet is also helpful as an elimination diet for allergy symptoms. Interestingly, studies have also shown that breast milk seems to have a preventative effect on asthma and atopic dermatitis in early childhood. Getting out into the sunshine may also assist people with rhinitis in managing their symptoms. Vitamin D is most easily acquired by spending time in the sunshine and is also found in some mushrooms. Eating a healthy diet is the first step to improving overall immunity.
Local Raw Honey for Rhinitis
Local and raw honey is one of the most prized natural remedies for allergy symptoms. It is also one of the more pleasant dietary additions, as it has a sweet flavor that can be added to teas, desserts, or enjoyed plain. Taking a tablespoon of raw, local honey each day can help the body gain a defense against local pollen that agitates sinuses causing rhinitis. A study on honey found a “60 percent lower total symptom score, twice as many asymptomatic days and 70 percent fewer days with severe symptoms.” Additionally, participants used 50% fewer antihistamines compared to the control group. Honey not only contains enzymes that support immune function but can also relieve allergy symptoms. As bees travel from flower to flower, they collect pollen from various species, which allows for broad exposure to diverse pollen from the local area.
Combining raw honey with Bee Pollen can boost its medicinal benefits even more. It may be surprising to learn that Bee Pollen is 25% protein and is high in antioxidants. This promotes healing of tissues which reduces oxidation in the body which could lead to deterioration and decline. Bee Pollen is an incredible natural superfood and is one of the most complete foods on Earth. It contains lots of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, phytonutrients and amino acids which help with muscle repair and recovery. High doses of minerals including magnesium and potassium are quickly replenished with Bee Pollen. The high nutrient density of Bee Pollen provides fuel for neurotransmitter production. It may help to restore brain chemistry by increasing feelings of well-being and promoting balance. A complete listing of the spectrum of amino acids in Bee Pollen is available for those wishing for more detailed information.
Herbs For Healing Allergy Symptoms
Chinese Herbs have been used for thousands of years as seasonal remedies. There are various herbs within the Chinese Materia Medica that treat allergy symptoms including nasal rhinitis, congestion and other indications. Try the following herbs for natural allergy relief:
- Calendula (Marigold Flower) - Anti-inflammatory
- Zi Su Ye (Perilla Leaf) - Detoxes allergies and eases associated cough
- Xin Yi Hua (Magnolia Flower) - Sinus decongestant
- Xi Xin (Wild Ginger) - Nasal decongestant
- Tie Da Yin Chen (Osha Root) - Respiratory support
Adding Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for Allergies
Incorporating Apple Cider Vinegar can be used in multiple ways to combat allergic rhinitis. A good way to include ACV in the diet is to add a teaspoon of it to a glass of warm lemon water. This is a great drink to have first thing in the morning to help break up mucus, facilitate lymphatic drainage and stimulate metabolism. To clear nasal passages, mix one teaspoon of ACV into a neti-pot solution for a natural cleansing addition.
Incorporating Other Natural Remedies
Other natural remedies that may help control symptoms by supporting the immune system and reducing congestion include:
- Sinus rinses: Using a sinus rinse solution such as a neti-pot can alleviate symptoms of nasal rhinitis. Be sure to follow instructions carefully and use a clean container to ensure safe use. As mentioned above, a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar can be added to the solution to increase effectiveness and alleviate allergy symptoms.
- Acupuncture: Receiving acupuncture can be an efficient and effective way to build the immune system by balancing the body to a state of homeostasis. Additionally, some acupuncture points are specifically indicated for relieving allergy symptoms, including points on the face near the nose and sinuses. Acupressure may also be appropriate for the relief of symptoms.
- In the Home: Keeping a clean home is an important element of soothing symptoms during allergy season and year-round. For homes with indoor pets, this is even more important, as pet dander and fur can create allergic symptoms for some people. Keeping doors and windows shut on high-pollen or windy days can prevent some allergens from entering the home. When the home is sealed, running a HEPA air filter can eliminate many allergens from the indoor air. It is also important to stop using any harsh cleaning products or other strong irritants which could cause adverse reaction and rhinitis.
Living a lifestyle that supports healing from seasonal allergies can take some consideration and change, but can also be greatly effective. Studies have shown that natural remedies can boost immunity and alleviate allergic symptoms in some people. Try incorporating some of these supplements and activities into your daily diet to experience the healing and medicinal benefits of natural anti-inflammatories. For more detailed assistance, contact a Chinese Medicine or natural healthcare practitioner to create a more individualized treatment plan.