Did you know that cinnamon is one of the most powerful antioxidants in the world? It ranks #7 in its concentration of antioxidants of all foods, spies and herbs across the world! The polyphenols, phenolic acid and flavonoids in cinnamon work to fight oxidative stress in the body, the accumulation of which, can lead to disease and accelerated aging.
Cinnamon also has powerful anti-inflammatory properties which may help lower the risks of cancer, heart disease and brain function decline. Studies have shown that cinnamon contains more than 7 kinds of flavonoid compounds that are highly effective in combating dangerous levels of inflammation in the body. This means that cinnamon can be a beneficial herb for pain management and research shows that it can relieve muscle soreness, PMS pains, severity of allergic reactions and age-related pain symptoms. Cinnamon can also act as a blood coagulant.
Cinnamon can provide may heart health benefits. Studies have shown that cinnamon can reduce high cholesterol, triglyceride and blood pressure levels – some of the most common risk factors for heart disease.  
Cinnamon can even help burn off abdominal fat and support the maintenance of healthy body weight!
Benefits of cinnamon for weight loss:
- Helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- Helps maintain health insulin sensitivity
- Helps maintain healthy weight and abdominal fat
Cinnamon does NOT directly increase fat burning by increasing metabolism, but it can assist you indirectly in getting to your optimal body weight because of the POWERFUL control it exerts on the blood sugar levels in your body.
As you know, chronically high insulin levels can make your body pack on the blubber. This is because insulin is a “fat storage” hormone – meaning that it’s presence tells the body to store fat. This means: more insulin = more fat storage.
In a study published in 2003 in the medical journal Diabetes Care, groups were split into people taking 1, 3, or 6 grams of cinnamon per day in capsule form (the equivalent of approx 1/4th to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon). The results of the study showed that all 3 amounts of cinnamon reduced fasting blood glucose levels by 18-29% after 40 days.
Cinnamon can also increase insulin sensitivity, which essentially means that it is helping your body to control blood sugar while simultaneously allowing your body to produce less insulin. It is known to have an ant-diabetic effect. Cinnamon has been shown play a role in blocking enzymes called alanines that allow glucose to be absorbed into the blood. So, it lowers the amount of sugar than is allowed to enter the bloodstream after a high carbohydrate meal.
So, how can you use cinnamon to help you control your blood sugar and get a leaner body?
- Add cinnamon daily in your meals when you can, in yogurt, cottage cheese, smoothies, oatmeal, etc. (My favorite way is to add it, along with organic, grass-fed, half and half and a scant teaspoon of local honey to my morning coffee…trust me…it is delicious!)
- Use a cinnamon capsule before each of your meals (especially if you are going to have 30 grams or more of carbs in that meal)
- Consider regular consumption of Flexibili-Tea. It contains a healthy dose of cinnamon along with a host of other herbs that promote relaxation and flexibility, support restful sleep and much more! Also Reishi & Astragalus Chai Tea and Reishi-Green Chai Training Tea are chock full of cinnamon and provide a host of other health benefits as like improved endurance, cardiovascular output, energy levels, and enhanced immunity and metabolism.
- Use Ku Yu Cheong, Ho Family, or White Dragon Iron Palm external liniments or our internal formula, Comprehensive Iron Palm Tonic.
If you have never purchased cinnamon freshly ground direct from the bark, you have never truly experienced cinnamon! Seriously, freshly ground cinnamon is a truly delightful treat. We always grind ours fresh to order. Give it a try today! With all the proven benefits of this spice, what do you have to lose?
Learn more about the two Reishi teas mentioned above, HERE.